Thursday, July 30, 2015

What the F#$% situations

I'm just going to be really honest.  My reaction to some situations with my kids is "What the F#$%?"

Sometimes, I find myself in "what the f#$%" situations with my kids where the not-listening and everything that comes with it, seems out of my control.

Let's talk about last night:

It's 10 O'clock and I'm now on the one millionth reminder to two of my sons to take a shower.  The girls have been getting in and out of bed for about 20 minutes and my oldest is trying to play upbeat video game music loudly on his kindle.  I get one boy to the shower, the other one runs away, the girls are out of bed again.  Next thing, both boys are in bathroom and the youngest girl is in the bathroom putting deodorant all over her body.  Then, I walk into my daughters' room to find all their laundry that I had just spent 1.5 hrs putting away, all packed up in suitcases and backpacks.

After 30 minutes of telling them the same things over and over again, with no action, I had found myself in a "what the f#$%" situation.

I just lost it.

I started yelling (maybe screaming)- yes, I know, 10:20 PM, probably not the best idea, but seriously, sometimes the not-listening thing, it just gets to me.

Today, I woke up feeling like the worst mother on the planet.  How could I have handled it better?  How do some mothers always keep a nice, calm even tone- I really want to know.

This morning, while waiting to meet a friend for coffee, I picked up my favorite book and this is what I read:

"Go to that place of peace, even in the midst of turbulence."

Maybe I was so worked up last night, I was the one who needed a time out to get recomposed.

While talking with my friend this morning, I realized, moms need to talk to other moms more often.  Real talk, not like "Jonny got into AT" talk.  But, like "my kids got me so pissed last night, I wanted to smash a glass" talk.

None of us are perfect or super- but we are real.  Can't we just be more real?

From that one hour talk with my friend, I feel renewed and ready to start today over with a fresh perspective.  Trying to deal with situations you've never been in before, or that don't have manuals can be very tricky.  Talking with someone who has been in similar ones or can sort of relate is refreshing.

Next time you find yourself in a "What the f#$%" situation, give yourself a time out.  Go put your head in a paper bag (Carry on Warrior), take a few deep breaths, say a prayer, or schedule a coffee date with a friend who can relate.

Always remember you are not alone and you are not the worst parent in the world!  It takes a village and a whole lot of iron!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment